Sunday, October 15, 2006

Mushroom Stroganoff of the Gods



This was heavenly. I am still blissed out from eating it. I had a bunch of cashew gravy leftover still, and this dinner was the obvious solution for my overabundance of gravy. I also found a bag of oyster mushrooms that Branden picked up for free at work but never told me about in the refrigerator, luckily they were still good. I think that was divine intervention. I served this with a bunch of swiss chard sauteed with garlic and olive oil as a side dish.

1 lb fettucine pasta, cooked, drained, and rinsed (but still warm)
1 large onion, sliced
.5 lbs oyster mushrooms, mostly whole, only the biggest sliced
.5 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced thick
Salt and pepper
1 box seitan (.25 lbs), cubed
1 batch cashew gravy
Margarine
Parsley, chopped

Saute onions in margarine until translucent.
Add mushrooms to onions, season with salt and pepper, and saute until soft.
Meanwhile, fry seitan until browned.
Heat gravy, thin with extra soymilk if it looks too thick.
Place pasta on a plate, top with gravy, then mushrooms, then seitan, and garnish with parsley.

6 comments:

learning to dance said...

What is seitan?

branden said...

Wheat gluten. Usually sold at health food stores as seitan. A Japanese word, it's pronounced more or less like "satan", so exhaust yourself with puns. I like its texture more than tofu. Doesn't have much in the way of taste, but takes on other flavors readily.

Unknown said...

oh my god! i am soooooooo making this.
it looks/sounds soooooooooooooo goood.

yummy!


-morgana

Marcy said...

Please make this whan I come visit!

Marcy said...

How do you make the gravy ?

branden said...

Here's gravy.