Sunday, October 01, 2006

The best bread ever (for a bread machine)

I bought a used bread machine and made a number of very sad looking mutant loaves, which were generally short and often crooked. I felt sorry for them, so I ate them to put them out of their misery. After many a disappointing peak into the bread machine window in the morning, I finally woke up one beautiful day to find... the perfect loaf! Angels sang down from above and the villagers rejoiced. It's almost hard to eat something so beautiful, but I always manage to do it. If you don't have a bread machine, you should get one. It's easy, cheap, and a ton of adventurous mad kitchen-scientist fun to make bread.

Here it is... my best bread ever (as of today):

1 1/4 c. lukewarm water
2 T. soymilk powder
1 T. margarine (earth balance, of course)
2 T. molasses
1 T. honey or agave nectar
1 t. salt
1/2 c. white flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. pure gluten
3/4 c. oats
2 1/2 t. yeast
1/2 c. walnuts or cashews

Put all that in the bread machine in the order recommended by your manual, press start, and then enjoy fantastic bread!

No comments: