Friday, February 16, 2007

Celeriac Red Beans and Rice with Celeriac Remoulade and Celeriac


I've started this tradition of making something new-to-me each Thursday for dinner. I've been getting tons of celeriac from my work. I'd never heard of the stuff before a couple weeks ago. I did some research and found that it's often used in rémoulade sauces, including Cajun remoulades. Here's my naïve interpretation:

Skin and boil two celeriacs until easily stabbed with a fork (like testing potatoes).

Soak and cook 2 cups (dry) red beans, dump the water and put them back in the pot. Mash about a quarter of them with a potato smasher, add half a celeriac (diced), kale, garlic and seasonings.

In a pan, heat 2 cups uncooked rice and a chopped onion with 1-2 T oil, coating thoroughly. Add broth and seasonings.

In a blender, mix
1 celeriac, boiled and chopped a bit
.5 c walnuts
.5 c Vegenaise
1 green onion
1 fistfull cilantro
.5 lemons' worth of juice
mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste
thin with water if desired.

Because two types of celeriac wasn't enough, I grated the remaining half-a-celeriac as a garnish. Serve with a chili-less cornbread for a purple-yellow-brown-green-white meal.

No comments: